Career Exploration Internship Program
SUNY Adirondack Career Exploration Internship Program
Queensbury High School seniors can participate in unpaid, half-year internships and earn dual college credit from SUNY Adirondack through the Career Exploration Internship Program. This learning opportunity gives high school seniors a link between school, industry and possible career pathways.
Each internship consists of an online college class and hands-on-experience at a chosen, local career site, allowing students to discover what they do and do not like about a particular career field before they enter it. Students gain an understanding of the importance of a positive work ethic, timeliness, strong interpersonal skills and good study habits. In addition, they develop relationships with their mentors and work on skills needed for employment such as resume building, discovering available resources, making contact with local community businesses and communicating in various formats.
Prior to applying for and enrolling in the internship program, all interested students must:
- Have an overall cumulative average of at least 80,
- Complete the college academy application and
- Meet with the high school internship coordinator.
For students who successfully enroll in the internship program, additional requirements include the following:
- Students must adhere to the online college classroom format and check in regularly with the high school internship coordinator.
- Students must make completing internship hours and course requirements a priority.
- Students must provide their own transportation to and from their internship site. Internships may take place outside of the normal school day schedule.
- Students may find internships that accommodate their individual interests as long as the career site has been approved by the high school internship coordinator.
Internship areas that students may explore include, but are not limited to the following examples:
- Business and finance
- Criminal justice, police science
- Graphic design
- Physical therapy
- Veterinary, animal science