Parent/Student Portal Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need any special software?
To effectively access your Parent Portal account you will need:
- Internet access - A minimum dial-up modem speed of 56Kbs – a slower connection will work but not as well.
- Computer - With a processor speed of 500Mhz or better (MAC or PC).
- Web browser – We suggest Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or better for PC and Firefox for Mac.
- Adobe Reader™ – This is a free document reader available for download on the web at: www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html. There are some SchoolTool reports that require the Adobe Reader.
How often do I need to fill out the parent portal application?
You only need to fill out the application once to create the account. Younger siblings will become visible on the portal once they become school age and register for school. Accounts are carried over from year to year as long as you do not move out of the district.
What happens if I forget my user ID or password?
You will need to contact Catherine Zubal at (518) 824-5643 or email@example.com who will work with you to reset your password.
What happens if my email address changes?
Please notify your child’s school for any change of information. Once you have notified the school of a change to your email address, your parent portal user name will be updated to reflect the new email address as well. You should allow from 24 to 48 hours for any changes to be reflected in the system.
How often is information updated in the parent portal?
Demographic, attendance and discipline information is updated in real time. However, you may want to contact individual teachers to ask how often they update assignment information.
Can I access parent portal from anywhere (Home, work, library …)?
Yes. As long as you meet the minimum computer and Internet access requirements.
How do I add/change/correct my personal information including address, or telephone numbers?
Please notify your child’s school for any change of information.
What if a report card shows a wrong grade(s) for my child/children?
Contact your child’s guidance counselor or teacher.
Who can I talk to regarding Attendance related issues?
Call the Attendance Office at your child's school, but give them 24 to 48 hours before you call to report any errors.
How do I view my/my child’s information?
When you are on the Students tab, all enrolled children that you have permission to view are listed. To view the selected student’s information, click on the blue arrow to the left of the name.
The student’s profile will come up along with a new group of tabs:
- Contact Tab: Lists all known contacts for the student as well as the siblings
- Schedule Tab: Displays the student’s schedule for each semester
- Attendance: Lists any absences, tardiness, or early dismissals for the selected year
- Discipline: Lists any disciplinary incidents and actions for the selected year period and year.
Click on the tab that corresponds to the type of information you want to see.
Can I change my password myself and if so, how? (PARENTS ONLY)
You can change your password at anytime and as many times as you want. We cannot see what your password is set to so pick something you will remember.
- When you first log in to SchoolTool your children’s demographic information is displayed. Above that is a row of tabs, click on the Account tab.
- You will need to enter your old password. Once again, be careful to pay close attention to letters that are capitalized and any special characters that may make up your password.
- Type in the password you want to start using next to New Password and again next to Confirm.
- Click on the ‘Change Password’ button.
How do I see the Quarterly Average?
The quarterly averages show on the printed copy (see below) of the report card only.
How do I print the report card?
From an individual student's profile, click on the grades tab.
1. For students in grades 4 through 12, you should see the following:
- Click on the printer icon located under the School Year. A new window will open which will display the printed version of the report card. You can then choose to print it out or just view this version on the screen.
2. For students in grades K-3, you will see the following:
- Click on the down arrow next to 'Report to print' to choose one of the following:
K-3 Report Card, Art-Music Report Card, Physical Education Report Card
- Click on the printer icon. A new window will open which will display the printed version of the report card. You can then choose to print it out or just view this version on the screen.
How do I see my child's progress report?
- From an individual student's profile, click on the grades tab.
- Click on the down arrow for 'View', choose 'Progress Report Grades.'
- Click on the down arrow to choose the correct marking period.