The Queensbury Board of Education consists of nine members, each elected to a five-year term by the Queensbury community. This group of nine individuals works together as one entity to carry out the business of the district.
Queensbury Board of Education meetings are generally held the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in the Queensbury Room at Queensbury High School.
The Board is responsible for the scope, depth and quality of education in the school district. As the official policy-making body of the school district, the Board:
- Defines the philosophy of the district;
- Establishes policies for the operation of the district;
- Determines educational goals and standards;
- Authorizes curriculum revision or development;
- Evaluates program effectiveness;
- Employs professional educators, upon the Superintendent’s recommendation;
- Develops budget recognizing educational needs and community resources; and
- Communicates educational programs and needs to the community.
The Queensbury Board of Education adopted the following goals for 2020-2024 in June 2020:
- All students will graduate prepared for college and careers, ready for civic engagement and committed to lifelong learning.
- All students will think critically and creatively, communicate in an inclusive manner, adapt as technology evolves and persevere through setbacks and adversity.
- All members of the school community will maintain a campus-wide environment that fosters safety, empathy and wellness.
Those who run for membership on the Board of Education must:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age
- Be able to read and write
- Be a resident of the district continuously for one (1) year
- Not be an employee of the school district
- Not be a family member of the Board of Education residing in the same household
Candidates must submit a petition to the district clerk signed by at least 25 qualified district voters. The petitions must include the following:
- Candidate’s name and residence
- Signature and residences of those signing the petition
- Length of the term of office for which the candidate is being nominated