Queensbury graduate Maddie Montgomery, a member of the William Smith College lacrosse team, was named to USA Lacrosse Magazine’s 2023 Division III Women’s Lacrosse Preseason All-America Teams Tuesday, Jan. 24.
Montgomery, a 2019 graduate of Queensbury High School, earned a spot on the first team. The midfielder was on the magazine’s All-America teams after last season, earning a spot on the third team.
Montgomery started all 20 games a season ago, recording 91 points. She led the Herons with 70 goals, the second most by a player in school history.
Montgomery scored two or more goals in 19 games, including a career-high seven in a victory over St. John Fisher.
She scored five goals in wins over Nazareth, Rochester and Rensselaer. Montgomery also led the team in the draw circle, finishing 2022 with a William Smith season record 106 draw controls. She matched a William Smith game record with 12 draw controls against St. John Fisher and Skidmore.
A two-year starter, Montgomery has played in 35 games. She has 148 points on 119 goals and 29 assists. She is 21st on William Smith’s all-time list in goals and 24th in points. Montgomery adds 149 draw controls, 23 caused turnovers and 47 ground balls.
The Herons, who were ranked eighth in the Nike/USA Lacrosse Magazine preseason poll, open their 2023 season on Feb. 25, when they head to Sparks, Maryland, to take on Catholic University. The game is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.
Montgomery, a senior, is majoring in psychology. She is also a member of the Heron soccer team.
As an athlete at Queensbury, Montgomery earned five varsity letters, according to the William Smith College website.
Her other high school accomplishments include:
- Set school’s single-season scoring record with 87 goals as a senior (her 87 goals as a senior is now 2nd on Queensbury’s all-time list)
- Added 36 assists for 123 points, fourth highest total in school history
- Named a US Lacrosse All-American
- Earned a spot on the All-State team
- Voted first team all-conference as a junior and senior
- Named team’s most valuable player as a senior
- Voted team captain as a junior and senior
- Also played soccer and was a member of the Spartan’s ski team
- Served as captain of the soccer team during senior season
- Named a first team All-Star as a senior
- Won Most Valuable Skier award four times
- Alpine Ski team captain junior and senior year
- Named Athlete of the Year four times