On Wednesday, Aug. 19, QMS held a reopening parent information night. If you were unable to attend, you can watch the presentation on our YouTube channel.
First day of school
While we will not be having our formal open doors and orientations, we are working on creating video tours of the building which will be shared prior to the first day of school.
The first day will have plenty of staff to help students navigate the building and make sure students get to their classroom safely.
Students will report to their first block class as indicated on their schedule.
Schedules will be available on SchoolTool prior to the first day, and we will send reminders out to families about important dates and school related items.
Supply lists were included on the SchoolMessenger sent last Friday and are posted on the website. Remote students will need the same supplies as listed on the website.
There will be designated pick up times for supplies that will be provided by the school.
6th Grade Remote Only Student Chromebook Pickup will be August 31 and September 1.
- Screen daily before leaving the house
- Mask must be worn
- Keep a spare mask in their backpack
- Keep your child home if feeling ill (contact the main office if your child will be out for a few days)
- Personal pocket-size hand sanitizer
- Water bottle (filtered water bottle fillers within building) – stay hydrated!
Established protocols are based on NYSED guidelines which require us to have screening processes in place prior to arrival.
We are developing an APP to help with this process, and we will also have screenings here at school for those that cannot or do not screen at home.
Hybrid model & remote learning attendance
In 7th & 8th Grade, our students will be divided alphabetically.
Last name A-K will attend in person Day 1 and remotely Day 2.
Last name L-Z will attend in person Day 2 and remotely Day 1.
Therefore, students may attend MWF one week then TTh the next depending on holidays or other interruptions to the regular school week.
Students will still be on Team Blue or Team Gold as they have been assigned previously.
Attendance will be taken each block, any student attending remotely, either hybrid or full time will need to be present on the Google Meet with their camera on.
Arrival and dismissal
- Students drop/pickup off:
- Procedures will remain the same as previous years
- All Middle School students may be dropped off no earlier than 7:50 a.m., pickup will remain 2:48 p.m. These times are crucial to ensure smooth arrival to school.
- Parents/guardians will pull into the front parking lot and follow the arrows circling around to let their child off at the sidewalk
- Students riding the bus:
- In the morning, students will be released one bus at a time to enter the building through designated entrances
- At dismissal, busses will be called 2-3 at a time and students will exit the building and load their appropriate bus
- Students will enter the building through a few different entrances
- main entrance – drop offs/walkers
- 7/8 entrance
- Music Wing
- Sanitizing stations will be available at all entrances
Breakfast and lunch
- Students may choose to buy school breakfast from our grab and go carts and bring to a designated area to eat.
- 7th & 8th grade students will eat in the cafeteria
- Students that choose to buy a school lunch will go through the lunch line with reminders to maintain physical distance
- 6th grade – We are still coordinating the lunch schedules and locations and hope to have them finalized soon. We will get details out as soon as finalized.
Classrooms have been set to maintain appropriate physical distancing of 6ft between desks.
We have extended our current WiFi to be available outside and will have learning spaces available to use when possible.
We have established regular cleaning and disinfecting routines in accordance with guidelines established by the CDC and Warren County Public Health.
When students transition we will be cleaning to ensure our students and staff are entering clean learning environments and common areas like our offices, media center, help desk, etc.
We have specific Cleaning procedures involving regular, routine spraying and wiping with EPA approved cleaners
We also have specific Disinfecting procedures that involve a systematic approach to sanitizing high touch points around the building, eating areas, and all classrooms after school hours.
Masks and mask breaks
- All students and staff must wear a mask throughout the day
- Gold Standard is that we are 6 feet apart and masks in classrooms
- Students will wear a mask at their desk
- Students will be provided with mask breaks throughout the day
- All classrooms will be establishing norms on day one to ensure safe learning spaces
- Students will be able to remove their masks while participating in PE, Band, and Chorus and any learning spaces where we can ensure they are 12 ft apart
- Students will remove their masks when eating – while maintaining a 6 ft distance
- If a student refuses to wear a mask or engages in other behavior that violates our code of conduct, they will be removed from common or classroom spaces and administration will contact their parent or guardian
If your child has medications to be administered at school, you may drop them off to the nurse at the front loop Aug. 31 8-11:30 a.m. or 12:30-3 p.m.
Medication will be stored as usual, and students will be scheduled to take their medication in the nurse’s office.
If you have further questions for our nurse, please reach out to Mrs. Roberts at email@example.com or 518-824-3603
Clubs, sports and activities
Our clubs and activities are currently on hold through September.
We are working to provide virtual and possibly in person opportunities which may begin in October.
We will keep all students and parents updated once we are given more guidance.
Band, orchestra and chorus
- Students will still be able to participate in band, orchestra and chorus
- We must focus on maintaining:
- Physically distanced small group lessons
- Band and chorus: 12 ft distance
- Orchestra: 6 ft distance
- These safety guidelines pose challenges that we are working to overcome so we can provide a rewarding experience for all that are involved (both remotely and in-person).
- More details will come from our Music Department
- ClassLink for books to request, they will be given a designated time to pick up at the media center
- When books are returned, they will be left untouched for 72 hours before being re-shelved.
- Remote learners will also be able to request books, and make arrangements for pickup and drop off
- Additionally, we will continue to feature our online reading program SORA – cataloging hundreds of reading selections digitally
- Teachers will provide lesson plans and assignments through Google Classroom
- The substitute will take attendance through their substitute account and facilitate the learning using the classroom Google Meet. The student will log in the same way as usual
- We work with WSWHE BOCES to coordinate our substitutes
We are looking forward to welcoming our middle school students into the building soon.
Please continue to look for regular emails from us via School Messenger with important updates throughout the remainder of the summer.
If you have further questions please reach out to us: