Let your dreams fly at WHBI!
The William H. Barton Intermediate School serves more than 450 students in fourth and fifth grades. WHBI strives to educate the whole student, offering all students access to quality academic programs, innovative learning tools, well-maintained grounds, and numerous athletic, music and art programs.
The school follows a team structure, meaning ELA and math teachers are paired in 90-minute blocks. Some academic program highlights include:
- A Readers & Writers Workshop developed by Teachers College;
- Mathematics Modules developed by EngageNY;
- Various music and art programs; and
- A MakerSpace, allowing students who share a common interest in fields such as STEM, design and art to work and socialize together.
In May 2018, WHBI was named a National School of Character by Character.org.
The hours of operation for the William H. Barton Intermediate School are 8:20 a.m. – 2:40 p.m.
Drop off/arrival times
- Students should not arrive before 8 a.m.
- Students will enter the lobby and be directed to the cafeteria for supervision.
- Students will be released to teachers at 8:05 a.m.
- All students should be in their classrooms by 8:20 a.m.
- Students arriving after 8:20 a.m. will be marked as a late arrival. If a student’s bus is late arriving, the student will not be marked late.
Dismissal/pick up times
- Students are dismissed at 2:40 p.m.
- All changes for student dismissal must be made by 12 p.m.
- No changes will be permitted after that time.
- Students are not permitted to loiter in the school after dismissal.
- Students remaining for an activity or extra help should be under staff supervision and receive a pass for the 3:45 p.m. bus from the supervisor.
- The school will operate from 8:20-10:38 a.m. if there is a half-day.