The WHBI Counselor identifies and addresses student needs through the use of a comprehensive school counseling model. The main objective is to support and advocate for all students ensuring that they will be successful.
Our school-wide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports, specifically SPARTATUDE, naturally and purposefully promotes desired student attributes which include being safe, respectful, responsible, cooperative and a problem solver. The counselor will work with students individually, in small groups and within the classroom setting to support and assist students with their academic, social, emotional, behavioral and personal development. As needed, the counselor will communicate, consult and collaborate with parents, classroom teachers and all other school staff along with outside support providers/services.
The WHBI counseling program includes:
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Crisis counseling
- Placement of new students
- Facilitating meetings with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators and other support services
- Restorative justice
- Classroom guidance lessons upon request
- Supporting parents/guardians with attaining services of local clinical mental health providers
- Home visits
In addition to a counselor, a psychologist and social worker are also available to assist students’ needs.
- To support students in progressing toward self-advocating and personal development.
- Strive for the maximum development of every student focusing on academic, emotional, social and career needs.
- Respect the rights and responsibilities of parents/guardians for their children and aim to establish a collaborative relationship that promotes the child’s continual development.
General classroom guidance takes place on an as needed basis. Topics focus on teaching kids to make positive choices and build good character. Mrs. Donahue is available to go into the classroom when teachers request her.