Mrs. Donahue is the WHBI counselor. She is available to address the personal, social, emotional and academic needs of all WHBI students. Mrs. Donahue works closely with the administration, staff and parents to help students feel confident, responsible and overall successful. She counsels, consults and collaborates with families providing strategies to improve academic, social and behavioral achievement. Prevention and crisis intervention are the goals of the intermediate school counseling program.
The WHBI counseling program includes:
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Crisis counseling
- Placement of new students
- Facilitating meetings with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators and other support services
- Restorative justice
- Classroom guidance lessons upon request
- Supporting parents/guardians with attaining services of local clinical mental health providers
- Home visits
In addition to a counselor, a psychologist and social worker are also available to assist students’ needs.
- To support students in progressing toward self-advocating and personal development.
- Strive for the maximum development of every student focusing on academic, emotional, social and career needs.
- Respect the rights and responsibilities of parents/guardians for their children and aim to establish a collaborative relationship that promotes the child’s continual development.
General classroom guidance takes place on an as needed basis. Topics focus on teaching kids to make positive choices and build good character. Mrs. Donahue is available to go into the classroom when teachers request her.